[asterisk-users] Need to find small footprint asterisk platform

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Mon Mar 30 08:01:34 CDT 2009

Anthony Plack wrote:
> Hey all,
> I have a potential project which calls for a very small form-factor computer like this:
>
> http://www.marvell.com/products/embedded_processors/developer/kirkwood/sheevaplug.jsp
>
> However, I am needing an FXS port integrated into a small footprint computer.  Nothing larger than a WiFi router or gateway device, but the smaller the better, and able to run Asterisk with at least a spare USB port and preferably WiFi on the system (but no necessary).

One of the more common embedded platforms for Asterisk is the Soekris
net5501 (or 4501 if you don't need as much processing power)  The case
would be the size of a larger router and has capacity for a single full
height PCI device - such as a TDM400.  Astlinux has an image for the
5501, so you can get away without a hard drive if you want to. (though
Astlinux will happily use one as it's UnionFS partion)  This will also
give you a USB port.