[asterisk-users] out of the box or do it your self?

Lenz Emilitri lenz.loway at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 12:58:12 CDT 2009

The problem with this seems to be that when you make a distro, you want it
to be many things to many people (easy to use, lots of features, support
lots of hardware, you name it). When you build a medium/large call-center,
you usually want to keep it lean and mean, as you need a high uptime and do
not want to spend the night debugging a problem that is related to some
module you do not actually need.

On the other side, I'd say that we have likely hundreds of clients who build
small to medium call centers with canned Asterisk distros, and they usually
work reasonably well up to 50-70 seats. So the bottom line is that in most
cases they are just "good enough". On the other side, when they are not, the
result is a blood bath - I have a few horror stories to share, but I'll keep
them for Halloween :)

Just my two Swiss cents,

l.

Loway - home of QueueMetrics - http://queuemetrics.com