[asterisk-users] out of the box or do it your self?

David fire ddfire at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 23:59:05 CDT 2009

hi
i had installed many systems, many of them for call centers
i had always installed them from scratch compiling asterisk and writing all
the config from temaplates i did my self.
but i saw so many out of the box solutions and i was thinking how good they
are? to make one like elastix or druid (or any one) you need to know a lot
of linux and asterisk so if a guy (or a group of guys) who know a lot make a
distro maybe it is good enougth...
David

2009/3/26 Steve Edwards <asterisk.org at sedwards.com>

> On Thu, 26 Mar 2009, David fire wrote:
>
> > i want to ask for your opinion what is better for a call center 100
> > current calls and other 200 current calls make the server step by step
> > or use a auto install cd like asterisk now, druid elastix ....? and why?
>
> idontunderstandyourquestionbutithinkcaseandpuctuationmayhelp
>
> If you are asking for an opinion on whether to use an all-in-one package
> or build up from scratch -- it depends.
>
> If you need all the cruft on the disc, install it. It may be a
> "prerequisite" to be supported.
>
> If you don't need all the cruft or support, no. You should do a minimal
> "server" (no X) install. Meaning, de-select everything in the distro.
> Then, build up your installation based on your actual needs.
>
> You will end up with a more efficient and secure system that is easier and
> faster to maintain -- and as a bonus, you will gain an understanding into
> what's actually going on in your box.
>
> Thanks in advance,

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.