[asterisk-users] Is there a public blacklist of hackers' IPaddresses?

Matt Riddell lists at venturevoip.com
Thu Mar 26 14:16:34 CDT 2009

On 27/03/2009 3:32 a.m., randulo wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 2:38 PM, SIP<sip at arcdiv.com>  wrote:
>> And so, in answer to your question, I don't think there ARE necessarily
>> steps that can be taken right now to ensure that there's a rational
>> approach to the resolution of such an issue of fraud. Barring some sort
>> of major legal precedent, it's going to be anyone's guess how the
>> verdict comes out in the end.
>
> Hence the need for all of us, everywhere to step up measures to
> prevent as much as possible, the unlawful use of a system. Maybe some
> kind of  (optional modular) monitor or engine could be built for the
> asterisk platform to at least send alerts when it deduces suspicious
> activity?

There are a few options we use here.

1. Snort with SIP rules - detects brute forces, floods etc - just a
notification

2. fail2ban - blocks hosts who attack at the iptables level

3. exception reporting - our billing sends SMS messages if a customer
uses a lot more than their average spend - i.e. if they normally spend
$10 a month and they have just spent $20 in ten minutes then an SMS is
sent - while this isn't conclusive, it does warn you that something
might be going on.

--
Kind Regards,

Matt Riddell