[asterisk-users] ITSP's no longer supporting IAX?

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Thu Mar 26 12:35:58 CDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Tilghman Lesher
<tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 March 2009 19:20:00 Steve Totaro wrote:

>> > It should be gone in the latest release.
>>
>> Do both sides have to be using the "latest release"?  Has this been
>> the same bug since many years ago, or a new moving target that has
>> been hit?
>>
>> Just use SIP and save yourself the pain.
>
> If you like, I can order up a similar warning in SIP.  The warning is actually
> fairly safe to ignore, but it bugs the crap out of some people (and then we
> can similarly argue "Just use IAX2 and save yourself the pain").

Yes, please do.  I would like.

I understand you are a developer and you want IAX2 to be great.  That
is your job, but the fact is that it is not and has caused audio and
security problems for YEARS in EVERY release.  It should "bug" you and
everyone at Digium that waves the IAX2 flag.

While Asterisk's implementation of the SIP RFC is far from compliant,
it generally "Just Works" not matter what version you are using.

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro