[asterisk-users] ITSP's no longer supporting IAX?

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Wed Mar 25 08:14:53 CDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 9:04 AM, OCG Technical Support <support at ocg.ca> wrote:
> After a variety of connectivity problems, my itsp (Unlimitel.ca) blamed the
> problem on the IAX protocol.  They told me that as of Asterisk 1.4 the IAX
> protocol went downhill and many carriers (like VoicePulse) are discontinuing
> support for IAX.
>

> Is this correct?  We are all heading for SIP?
>

> Thanks,
>
> MD

IAX2 has been a lemon since it's inception.  Sure, some people have
success.  It seems to work OK for IAXModem.

I think the problem is that from the slightest version change to
another, two boxes with different versions and many times the same
version don't work well.

I have been saying this for many years (check the archives) and have
been paid decent sums of money to say "Oh, you are using IAX, and
switch them to SIP", everything fixed instantly.

Do yourself a favor and ditch IAX2, maybe IAX3.6 might be production ready?

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro