[asterisk-users] Is there a public blacklist of hackers' IPaddresses?

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at cyber-office.net
Tue Mar 24 13:01:27 CDT 2009

Wilton Helm wrote:
> If life were only that simple.  A lot of hacking passes through
> unsuspecting intermediary computers, precisely to hide their tracks, not
> to mention IP spoofing.  People have offered for sale access to 10,000
> computers to use for propagating mischief.  That's a lot of IPs to block!
>
> I got hacked about six months ago.  They came in through SSH and figured
> out roots password, which was a concatenation of two English words.  I
> presume they did a dictionary search.

I used to get hit very hard with these type of attacks (hundreds to
thousands per day) on 25-30 servers until I added some iptables rules to
REJECT the offending IP for 5 minutes after three unsuccessful attempts
in 60 seconds.  The attacks typically have dropped to less than five per
day.

This means those that need access don't need to make _odd_ changes to
standard programs' setting and the rules do allow a whitelisting of
specific IPs.

\\||/
Rod