[asterisk-users] conference and wifi phones

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Mon Mar 23 14:14:43 CDT 2009

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Kelvin Chan wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm looking for a affordable conference phone and a wifi phone that has a cradle.
>
> Polycom seems to make pretty nice conf phones but the price is a bit
> crazy for us. I saw the recommendation with ATA plus an analog Polycom
> phone but I do prefer a SIP phone. All because it's just too difficult
> to pull a phone cable into the current conference room. Is there any
> cheaper SIP solutions out there?

Why not have the ATA in the same room as the conference phone?  I did this
for a client.  The ATA is bolted to the underside of the conference table
and plugs into the ethernet switch (also bolted to the underside of the
conference table), and a simple RJ11 patch cable runs up to the legacy
Polycom conference phone.

> For wifi phone, I tried Linksys iPhone. It works well but lacks a
> cradle. My users often forget to charge it when they leave for the day
> and come back to a dead wifi phone for the next morning.

I still don't get the market for this kind of phone.  DECT cordless phones
can be had for $20 with very long battery life and range, and if the base
is plugged into an ATA you have your wireless SIP phone.

Long live the PAP2T...