[asterisk-users] Hardware suggestions

Spiro Harvey spiro at knossos.net.nz
Thu Mar 19 15:36:05 CDT 2009

> >> I'm shooting from the hip here, but I don't think dual CPU gives
> >> you
> > redundancy.  If one chip fries I am pretty sure the machine will
> > crash.
> >
> > This was sort of a question disguised as a statement.  Can a CPUs
> > function when it's neighbour is fried?

Dualcore means two cores on one CPU. Quadcore is 4 cores on one CPU.

There are not multiple CPUs, unless you start going into specifically
multi-processor (SMP) systems. These were popular on higher end PC grade
hardware before Dualcores came into existence, but are now redundant.

So if you bought a dual-dualcore machine, you may possibly have
redundancy (depending on how the board is designed to handle one CPU
popping).

CPUs don't tend to fry themselves unless something else like the CPU
fan has first gone and allowed the CPU to overheat.

Worrying about processor redundancy is overkill, IMO. Have a backup
machine or a spare motherboard/CPU+fan, or have a good support contract
with your hardware vendor.

--
Spiro Harvey                  Knossos Networks Ltd
021-295-1923                    www.knossos.net.nz