[asterisk-users] Hardware suggestions

Singer XJ Wang wang at pythian.com
Thu Mar 19 14:58:14 CDT 2009

Mike wrote:
>> You can reliably run asterisk on just about any x86 hardware.  You don't
>> mention what kind of stresses you are going to put on it, so your sizing
>> questions are impossible to answer.  How many extensions?  How many
>> simultaneous calls?  Will you be transcoding?  Routing to/from the PSTN?
>> What cards will you be putting in the box?  Some cards don't play nicely
>> together if forced to share interrupts, for example.

Sizing is important. Take your company's projected growth rate, double
it, and work it out for 3-5 years. I recommend 5 years for the
sizing. As much as its fun to tinker, once it goes into production you
want to have it as stable as possible.

Look at all the apps you want to use and figure out how much they are
going to cost you in terms of resources. In the company
I work for, we put in Asterisk to replace our Nortel system which
reached the limits. So we expected standard usage rates
and growth etc.

However, once we introduced meetme application our Asterisk usage
spiked. We figured on average 2-3
meetme meetings a week (based on the usage of a third party conference
bridge we had before), and now
its at 2-3 a day. We had it setup so that every person has their own
conference bridge.

Other features are also taking up more resources. I'm currently
modigying meetime and writing an AGI so that
once the meetme conference ends, it will take the recording and conver
it to an mp3 and then emails it to
the leader.