[asterisk-users] Asterisk is not designed for University with largeuser base?

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Tue Mar 17 12:06:29 CDT 2009

2009/3/17 Michael Graves <mgraves at mstvp.com>

> On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:00:56 -0700 (PDT), Vincent Li wrote:
>

> >On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Yehavi Bourvine wrote:
> >
> >> Hello'
> >>
> >>  I am at the same situation as you. I also work at a university and we
> have
> >> over 8.000 extensions on a Nortel PBX. I also run a small Asterisk
> pilot.
> >>
> >>  I am using a realtime users database and the main problem is that
> Aaterisk
> >> does too mcuh database access to inquire for the currently registered
> users.
> >> (I am using direct RTP path between the phones so this is not  a
> limiting
> >> issue here).
> >>
> >>  I am checking now a combination of OpenSIPS and Asterisk, where
> OpenSIPS
> >> will serve the phones and Asterisk the more complicate things
> (voicemail,
> >> transcoding, etc.). OpenSIPS still lacks some of Asterisk features, but
> they
> >> are being worked on.
> >>
> >>                            Regards, __Yehavi:
> >>

> >Hi Yehavi,
> >
> >Could you please keep us informed with your research, That would be very
> >interesting case that all other Universities could study. There seems no
> >known large Asterisk deployment in University enviroment at this time.
>
> There was at Sam Houston Stat University in Texas, but they have since
> transitioned to a Cisco Call Manager system...essentially reversing
> their earlier migration.
>
> I gather that this decision was driven by changes in their staffing and
> epecially the loss of key staff knowledgable in the ways of Asterisk.

Are those staffing changes the consequence of issues in Asterisk deployment
or is it the opposite (the new staff members that decided to change back to
CCM) ?

Given the cost of reverting to CCM, that would be strange Sam Houston Stat
University in Texas prefers to roll back to CCM instead of finding
appropriate support suppliers.

Maybe actors are still  reading this list and could tell more about it.

I know these days, it's easier to get hudge bargains from vendors ...