[asterisk-users] Asterisk is not designed for University with largeuser base?

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Tue Mar 17 11:45:42 CDT 2009

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:00:56 -0700 (PDT), Vincent Li wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Yehavi Bourvine wrote:
>
>> Hello'
>>
>>  I am at the same situation as you. I also work at a university and we have
>> over 8.000 extensions on a Nortel PBX. I also run a small Asterisk pilot.
>>
>>  I am using a realtime users database and the main problem is that Aaterisk
>> does too mcuh database access to inquire for the currently registered users.
>> (I am using direct RTP path between the phones so this is not  a limiting
>> issue here).
>>
>>  I am checking now a combination of OpenSIPS and Asterisk, where OpenSIPS
>> will serve the phones and Asterisk the more complicate things (voicemail,
>> transcoding, etc.). OpenSIPS still lacks some of Asterisk features, but they
>> are being worked on.
>>
>>                            Regards, __Yehavi:
>>

>Hi Yehavi,
>
>Could you please keep us informed with your research, That would be very
>interesting case that all other Universities could study. There seems no
>known large Asterisk deployment in University enviroment at this time.

There was at Sam Houston Stat University in Texas, but they have since
transitioned to a Cisco Call Manager system...essentially reversing
their earlier migration.

I gather that this decision was driven by changes in their staffing and
epecially the loss of key staff knowledgable in the ways of Asterisk.

Michael
--
Michael Graves
mgraves<at>mstvp.com