[asterisk-users] T.38 - Which endpoint shall reINVITE ? caller or callee ?

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Tue Mar 17 08:34:04 CDT 2009

Olivier wrote:

> 2009/3/17 Vlasis Hatzistavrou (KTI) <vhatz at kinetix.gr
> <mailto:vhatz at kinetix.gr>>
>
>     > Vlasis Hatzistavrou (KTI) wrote:
>     >> Fax transmission can be initiated from any one of the parties.
>     AFAIK
>     >> T.38 as well as the PSTN fax standards do not show any preference
>     >> whether fax transmission is requested from a or b party.
>     >>
>     >> In practice, the caller usually initiates a fax transmission,
>     but this
>     >> doesn't mean that the called party cannot initiate it, too.
>     >>
>     >> Best regards,
>     >> Vlasis Hatzistavrou.
>     >>
>     Steve Underwood wrote:
>     > Hey, why bother looking at a spec when its so much more fun to
>     make it
>     > up as we go along?
>      >
>      > ...
>      >
>      > Regards,
>      > Steve
>      >

>     I don't think there is a need to be ironic here... I wrote "AFAIK"
>     which
>     we all know means "as far as I know", so why the bashing?
>

> Vlasis,
> I don't think Steve's irony where targeted to you but to those which
> are supposed to read specs (ATA vendors)
Oh, it was meant for him. In the time it took him to write his wrong
e-mail he could have gone to the ITU web site, downloaded a free copy of
the T.38 spec, looked up the annex where it described the negotiation
process, and found a clear statement of what is supposed to happen. Of
course, that wouldn't tell him the real world issues, like the fact half
the T.38 implementations out there don't follow the spec., but it would
have been a valuable start. It would also keep the noise level on this
list down.

What a lot of people don't allow for when writing garbage is it stays on
the internet for years, and eventually becomes reference material. :-\

Regards,
Steve