[asterisk-users] ATA react to phone but unresponsive to fax modem

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Mon Mar 16 18:07:28 CDT 2009

2009/3/16 Olivier <oza-4h07 at myamail.com>

> Hi,
>
> I'm rather new to this domain so I may be doing stupid things without being
> concious of that.
>
> I've got a Patton MATA I'm trying to setup as T.38 fax adapter.
> Whenever I connect a fax machine (Dell MFP1815dn) or a phone to it, I can
> successfully send a fax or talk to the other end.
>
> Whenever I connect a fax modem (Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop), I keep getting
> "No signal. Line is busy or disconnect" from Windows XP fax application.
> Whatching SIP trafic from this Patton MATA, I can see no single SIP is
> leaving the box so I'm certain issue relates to analog line settings but I'm
> mostly lost with things like Ring Polarity, Ring settings and so on.
>
> I tried to mimic settings from an SPA3102 with which I can either fax from
> fax machine or fax application but I'm unsuccessful at the moment.
>

> 1. Can you explain what is going on ?
> 2 What would you say reading this :
> Ring waveform:  trapezoid
> Ring frequency: 20
> Ring voltage: 85
> FXS input gain: -6
> FXS output gain: -6
> (I copied those values from SPA3102 into MATA)

> Best regards

Changing FXS input gain and FXS output gain from -6 to -12 improved things
as I could fax out in T.38 with both ATAs and fax endpoints !

But for incoming faxes, modem connected to M-ATA remains silent and idle
whenever the M-ATA receives a fax call : I can see incoming SIP signal
arriving into the ATA but it seems no analog signal is going out from it.
(using SPA3102, faxes are correctly received).

How is called the signal an ATA uses when it wants to wake an analog phone
or a fax machine up ?
Is it correct to think the same electrical signal is sent whatever the
analog endpoint is ?
What could explain a phone is ringing at one and a fax modem remains idle ?

Regards