[asterisk-users] Faxing success rate on PRI

Grygoriy Dobrovolskyy megahohol at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 04:22:40 CDT 2009

2009/3/8 Marco <marcotasto at libero.it>

> Hi List,
> I've been using PSTN-ATA + Asterisk + IAXModem + Hylafax since three years
> on my lab test setup and I appreciate it. Moreover the global quantity of
> fax handled by this setup is not very high.
>
> I'll be involved in a more complex system for a customer and I would like
> to ask to All of you if you have experiences and/or statistical results on
> faxing success and failure rate.
>
> The system I have to deploy will operate in the following context:
>
> - It will be interfaced to an E1 PRI
> - It will be able to send and receive faxes (by e-mail and/or virtual
> printers)
> - It will be able to send faxes from a normal fax machine.
>
> The system will be placed on the same building, i.e. only private ethernet
> trunks.
>
> I'm thinking to this type of solution:
> - Patton external unit for E1
> - Asterisk 1.4 + IAXModem + Hylafax
> - An external ATA for the fax machine
> but I'm open to any other possible solution (I'm thinking to have a
> demodulation on Patton and talk T38 with Asterisk 1.6).
>
> The fax volume will be high because actually the customer has a ZFax
> software system with 12 fax-modem installed (that will be replaced by the
> system).
>
> I know that this was already asked in this list in the past, but I would
> like to know if someone has experience on this and could share their
> opinion, tricks and/or statistical results on failure/success rate when
> faxing. I think that this could be useful to other people have to realize
> a system like that one depicted.
>

> Thank you in advance.
> Marco Signorini

> INGEGNI Tech S.r.l.
> http://www.ingegnitech.com

I had a very good success rate with multitech modems connected to fxs card
and calling out with T0 (bri) I had 3 modems in total, - 1 receiveing 2
sending, they were heavily loaded and i had very low failure rate 20 000
faxes and only 3 failed (!) from 3 only one due to incompatibility (brother
model know issue) and 2 bad line. I dont inclide here wrong numbers.