[asterisk-users] Server Setup Advice

Matt Riddell lists at venturevoip.com
Sun Mar 8 17:35:11 CDT 2009

On 9/03/2009 8:08 a.m., Elliot Murdock wrote:
> Hello Gordon,
>
> Aside from alaw and ulaw, we also use G729.
>
> I am not that familiar as to how Asterisk converts PRI signals into
> coded format, but why wouldn't any transcoding be necessary for alaw
> and ulaw codecs?

Because a T1 uses mulaw and an E1 uses alaw (except in some E1
connections in Japan - which use ulaw).

If your phones are also using ulaw then the signal would not need to be
transcoded - there's really very little reason to use anything other
that alaw/ulaw in a LAN situation - the only reason you would want to
use G729 etc is if you have bandwidth issues.

--
Kind Regards,

Matt Riddell
Director