[asterisk-users] Server Setup Advice

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sun Mar 8 16:31:11 CDT 2009

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009, Elliot Murdock wrote:

> Hello Gordon,
>
> Aside from alaw and ulaw, we also use G729.
>
> I am not that familiar as to how Asterisk converts PRI signals into
> coded format, but why wouldn't any transcoding be necessary for alaw
> and ulaw codecs?

It shouldn't have to convert them as they'll come in in ulaw or alaw
already (depending on your country: ulaw for the US and Japan I think,
alaw for most other places)

I guess you're using g729 for remote connections though. Always use ulaw
or alaw for local/LAN connections when talking to a PRI. There was a paper
published some time back which demonstrated 14 (I think) transcodes to
g729 on a 1GHz processor. My own experience is that I can do 10 on simialr
hardware without getting near 100% CPU, so a faster CPU with better MMX,
SSE instructions, etc. ougut to do many more.

Gordon

> Regards,
> Elliot
>
> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 8:52 PM, Gordon Henderson
> <gordon+asterisk at drogon.net> wrote:
>> On Sun, 8 Mar 2009, Elliot Murdock wrote:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> There will be disk writing in these areas:
>>> 1. Logs
>>> 2. CDRs
>>> 3. MYSQL Call logs