[asterisk-users] IAX based war dialer

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Fri Mar 6 16:24:30 CST 2009

----- "Jon Pounder" <jonp at inline.net> wrote:
> Tim Nelson wrote:

Now you're making others think I wrote this tirade of crap.

> The fact that this would be even being discussed on this list is an
> embarrassment to the asterisk community.

Isn't this the *perfect* place to be discussing this type of software? You're making the assumption that all use of the software is for malicious purposes. The Asterisk/VoIP community should be made aware of this and it should be used to secure and otherwise audit our own installations. Just think, if everyone audited their systems, it may be harder for people to exploit them and use them as launchpads to do exactly what you talk about below.

> I am constantly being pestered by cold callers with fake caller ids,
> probe calls such as this, etc. I think for once CRTC/FCC need to step
> up
> to the plate and take some useful measures :
>
> - make knowingly presenting forged caller id a federal crime (its
> fraud
> and harassment already)
> - block caller id spoofing at the telco boundaries (we all do this now
>
> for ip addresses, so why not caller id ?)
> - ban offenders from having telecommunications service of any sort
> nationally once convicted.
>
> If the telcos can't adapt to providing service and accountablity this
>
> way and actually serving the customers who pay them,
> telecommunications
> with just evolve without them. Much the way the post office is being
> left behind since they can not compete with the speed of fax and email
>
> for documents or couriers for packages.

... anyways.

Happy Friday.

Tim Nelson