[asterisk-users] Silk for Free

randulo spamsucks2005 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 11:01:25 CST 2009

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 5:09 PM, Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming at digium.com> wrote:
> Along those lines, I've mentioned here before that my wideband Polycom
> IP650 actually sounds substantially better with G.711 ulaw media streams
> than any previous phone I've had, and I've had high quality phones
> before. I can only assume this is due to the higher quality speakers,
> amps, microphones, and acoustic effects of the phone design.

I've long suspected and we've discussed it on VUC many times, that
Polycom uses what used to be know as pre-emphasis and de-emphasis like
techniques to make them sound so good. They really are great, even on
th elow end, and with g722 enabled, they get even better. We are
currently testing a sub branch of the weekly Friday conference using
the ZipDX HD conference bridge and it does make a difference.

Maybe you'll drop in sometime soon Kevin? Otherwise, probably see you
in Rostock in May.

Best,

randy