[asterisk-users] Silk for Free

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu Mar 5 10:09:18 CST 2009

Steve Underwood wrote:

> Good engineering of standards is about building them for the future.
> Cutting off the bass at 70Hz is far less of a limitation than cutting
> off the high end at 11kHz, but why do it in the codec? Why not leave the
> transducers and their amps to do what they can?

Along those lines, I've mentioned here before that my wideband Polycom
IP650 actually sounds substantially better with G.711 ulaw media streams
than any previous phone I've had, and I've had high quality phones
before. I can only assume this is due to the higher quality speakers,
amps, microphones, and acoustic effects of the phone design.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming at digium.com