[asterisk-users] How to generate core dump?

RE Kushner List Account lists at darl.com
Mon Mar 2 13:42:51 CST 2009

Danny Nicholas wrote:
> You would think this, but I've seen asterisk create 100 or more dumps in an
> hour of 10+Mb.  Depending on Inode size, etc., this situation could push a
> system into a "hurting" capacity rather quickly.  Also, many shops use older
> technology and compound this by RAID striping, which can reduce your
> effective capacity by up to 70%.  Just an observation.

100 crashes an hour is one thing, that will fill up somewhat quicker,
but still, it's only slightly less than a gig per hour, it'd be days
before most modern system started to run out of space if they have the
entire drive formatted under /

I have a e-mail system on 100GB RAID 5 system (4 36GB drives) that has
never run out of inodes and it's receiving a few hundred files per
minute, heck, looking at it it's only using 5% of inodes for 50GB of
small e-mail files.

You'd have to be running some old Red Hat (pre 8) to have a standard
ext3 format not have enough inodes (for a mail server).

I really don't see any reason to run RAID 5 on an Asterisk server when
mirroring might be a better option and it'd give you faster overall file
IO. I'd hate to see a four or five drive RAID 5 system rebuild if it had
 > 100GB drives, a coat of paint probably dries faster.

-Ron