[asterisk-users] IAX for internet file transfer?

Moises Silva moises.silva at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 19:50:08 CDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 6:48 PM, Maris <maris.rob at vdi.de> wrote:

> I'm dealing with an idea to exchange data in a socket connection style
>  or a sort of ftp transfer with IAX2 as the transport medium.
>
> An IAX client on e.g. a notebook could establish a connection to any
>  remote machine (also client) via any Asterisk Server where both
>  clients are registered. Due to the unique properties of IAX2 one
>  could connect quite easily to any "hidden" remote computer without
>  server functionality and exchange data.
>
> To my opinion it should be quite simple to bypass audio->RTP packet
>  conversion in order to allow digital data transmission.

Just a question since I am not quite sure I understand your suggestion.

How do you plan to reliably transmit a file through UDP which does not
guarantee delivery?, not to mention that IAX2 does not use RTP. Are you
suggesting to change the protocol to support such transfers?

--
Moises Silva
Software Developer
t. 1 905 474 1990 x 128 | e. moy at sangoma.com