[asterisk-users] Sounds format: GSM to G.729

Alejandro Cabrera Obed aco1967 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 14:12:37 CDT 2009

Dear all, I have an Asterisk SIP PBX using GSM codec at peers and in
voicemail sounds files (I have Spanish sounds).

But now I have a problem because I have to use G.729 mandatory at peers, and
I have GSM in voicemail sound files. I can't let Asterisk do trascoding
because I have no a DSP in the CPU, and I don't want to degrade the PBX
performance with trascoding tasks. So how can I trascode sounds file from
GSM to G.729 ??? Any Linux package suggestion to do this task ???

Because sounds files in /var/lib/asterisk/sounds are a lot as I see.

Thanks a lot

Alejandro