[asterisk-users] Documenting configuration with Real Time

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Mon Jun 22 16:12:15 CDT 2009

Hello, all.  As we work through our design issues, we are very
interested in moving immediately to real time database since we
anticipate expanding our system in to a clustered system within a year
or two.

One of the biggest disadvantages we anticipate is the lack of
configuration documentation.  In other words, the .conf files are
self-documenting.  If I want to understand my dialplan, I read the
extensions.conf file.  If I want an overview of my SIP users, I read
sip.conf.  It seems we lose this in the database (yes, I could run sql
queries but it's not nearly as convenient).  I would imagine this is
particularly important when making a change to the configuration.  I
like being able to see how the part fits into the whole.

I suppose we could create static sql files and organize them similarly
to the conf files, i.e., have a comment such as #[context-client1]
followed by all the sql statements to create the extensions or mailboxes
under [context-client1].

How are others dealing with the loss of self-documenting .conf files
when moving to real time? Thanks - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation