[asterisk-users] Switchvox HA options

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Fri Jun 19 15:32:34 CDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 19, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Bob Pierce <pierceb at westmancom.com> wrote:

> What are the HA options for Switchvox systems?
> Is it possible to set up redundant systems with DRBD?
>
> I know on the digium website they talk about "Optional cold spare
> failover"  What does this mean? Is this an active spare ready for some
> sort of automated failover?
>
> Thanks for you help,
>
> Bob

A "Cold Spare" generally means you buy two identical boxes and only plug one
in, hence the "Cold".  You keep it in the rack but turned off.  It is
configured exactly the same way as the "Hot" box and you would need a daily
(or whatever suits you) backup on the network, tape, or some other media to
bring everything up to speed.

It is not a "Hot Spare" which would be heartbeat or something that could
take a few ms. to take over.

I am sure you could do it with SwitchVox if you hosted the DB on a separate
server and setup heartbeat and some scripts to change the "from" IP address
to the virtual heartbeat address instead of the real IP of the NIC.

There is some trickery when it comes to heartbeat since a machine taking
over the "active" role will most likely by default receive traffic on it's
heartbeat virtual IP but reply on it's real IP so the phones get confused
and see it as unsolicited traffic, or otherwise reject it, or could manifest
in one way audio oddities between boxen.

That of course would "unsupported" since even having remote phones or a
Switchvoxen open to the interweb.

--
Thanks,
Steve Totaro