[asterisk-users] DAHDI, and 64 bit machine

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sat Jun 6 14:59:38 CDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 02:33:28AM -0700, bilal ghayyad wrote:

> By the way: Why there is dahdi-kernel and dahdi-tools? In other words,
> for what the kernel is used and for what the tools is used? And why
> they called the dahdi-kernel in that name (related it to the kernel?
> to which kernel?)

The basic idea is that dahdi-linux is the linux-specific part whereas
dahdi-tools should be os-independent. I'm not really sure that this is
the case with the dahdi-perl scripts (that rely heavily on the procfs
and sysfs interfaces) and the ppp module in dahdi tools.

> About the 64 bit machine:
> If my machine is 64 bit, does that effect on selecting the DAHDI and
> the Asterisk version? Or All work for 64 and 32? I know that in codecs,
> there is a difference in the machine is 64 or 32, but what in the
> Asterisk and DAHDI?

As I regularily use DAHDI drivers on my 64bit laptop, I can say it works
rather well :-)

One limitation: if dahdi is built as a module for a 64bit kernel, it
will not support 32bit userspace clients. This is normally not something
that you do, though.

  https://issues.asterisk.org/view.php?id=14808

--
               Tzafrir Cohen