[asterisk-users] DAHDI, and 64 bit machine

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 09:22:52 CDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 5:33 AM, bilal ghayyad <bilmar_gh at yahoo.com> wrote:
> To download, compile and install DAHDI, do I need to download the both (dahdi-kernel and dahdi-tools) If yes, then do I need to do the compilation and installation command for each package? What is the method to download, compile and install the both packages as one package?

depends on your OS. You may be able to find compatible pre-compiled
packages for your distribution. But compiling will work too. When you
download the packages there are instructions inside in conveniently
named files like README.

> By the way: Why there is dahdi-kernel and dahdi-tools? In other words, for what the kernel is used and for what the tools is used? And why they called the dahdi-kernel in that name (related it to the kernel? to which kernel?)

the kernel package contains the kernel drivers source code.
the tools package contains the tools source code.
Drivers make the hardware talk to the kernel.
Tools make the drivers tell the hardware what you want them to do,
query status, etc.

> About the 64 bit machine:
> If my machine is 64 bit, does that effect on selecting the DAHDI and the Asterisk version? Or All work for 64 and 32? I know that in codecs, there is a difference in the machine is 64 or 32, but what in the Asterisk and DAHDI?

No. The compilation process auto-detects your system settings and
builds correctly.