[asterisk-users] DAHDI, and 64 bit machine

bilal ghayyad bilmar_gh at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 6 04:33:28 CDT 2009

Hi All;

To download, compile and install DAHDI, do I need to download the both (dahdi-kernel and dahdi-tools) If yes, then do I need to do the compilation and installation command for each package? What is the method to download, compile and install the both packages as one package?

By the way: Why there is dahdi-kernel and dahdi-tools? In other words, for what the kernel is used and for what the tools is used? And why they called the dahdi-kernel in that name (related it to the kernel? to which kernel?)

About the 64 bit machine:
If my machine is 64 bit, does that effect on selecting the DAHDI and the Asterisk version? Or All work for 64 and 32? I know that in codecs, there is a difference in the machine is 64 or 32, but what in the Asterisk and DAHDI?

regards
Bilal