[asterisk-users] CPU usage vs compiler flags

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Jun 5 03:46:31 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 04, 2009 at 02:11:45PM -0500, Miguel Molina wrote:

> You were right. Almost one day with the server nearly overloaded (it's a
> 24/7 call center) taught me the lesson: don't try to debug directly on
> production machines, use instead a separate testing one with a copy of
> the configuration if possible. Thanks to God for the spare CPU power
> that was available. Never thought that disabling the optimizations were
> going to impact the overall performance of asterisk that much.

For the cases you have to, and in cases you can afford a short downtime,
here's a small trick to borrow some debugging time on the production
system:

  http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/trunk/contrib/scripts/live_ast

(In Asterisk as of 1.6.2, IIRC)

In an Asteirsk source tree somewhere on the production system (not the
one you normally use. Maybe use a copy of that one)

  wget http://svn.digium.com/svn/asterisk/trunk/contrib/scripts/live_ast
  chmod +x live_ast
  ./live_ast conf-file
  # edit live/live.conf . Unrem the following two:
  #LIVE_AST_CONFIGURE_PARAMS="--enable-dev-mode"
  #LIVE_AST_FOR_SYSTEM=yes
  ./live_ast configure
  ./live_ast install
  ./live_ast samples

Now you get a separate instance of Asterisk under ./live/ -
./live/usr/sbin/asterisk and ./live/usr/lib/modules/asterisk/ . You also
get ./live/asterisk which is a wrapper script that behaves exactly like
the Asetrisk binary (command-line wise, that is) so you can use it in
your scripts or directly. See the magic in
./live/etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf

So if you don't have important users at night (ahem) just shut down the
standard Asterisk instance and switch to that instance for testing.
Switching back should be likewise simple.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com