[asterisk-users] CPU usage vs compiler flags

Miguel Molina mmolina at millenium.com.co
Thu Jun 4 14:11:45 CDT 2009

Tzafrir Cohen escribió:
> On Mon, Jun 01, 2009 at 09:23:48AM -0500, Miguel Molina wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just upgraded a production server to asterisk 1.4.25, compiling with
>> the following:
>>
>>                               [*] 1.  DONT_OPTIMIZE
>>                               [*] 2.  DEBUG_CHANNEL_LOCKS
>>                               [*] 3.  DEBUG_THREADS
>>                               [*] 4.  DEBUG_FD_LEAKS
>>                               [ ] 5.  LOW_MEMORY
>>                               [*] 6.  MALLOC_DEBUG
>>                               [ ] 7.  RADIO_RELAX
>>                               [ ] 8.  STATIC_BUILD
>>                               [ ] 9.  IAX_OLD_FIND
>>                               [*] 10. LOADABLE_MODULES
>>
>> Do this options make asterisk consume much more CPU?
>>

> DONT_OPTIMIZE sure does, for starters.

You were right. Almost one day with the server nearly overloaded (it's a
24/7 call center) taught me the lesson: don't try to debug directly on
production machines, use instead a separate testing one with a copy of
the configuration if possible. Thanks to God for the spare CPU power
that was available. Never thought that disabling the optimizations were
going to impact the overall performance of asterisk that much.

By the way, everything back to normal with no special compiler flags,
1.4.25 seems very stable, with the memory leak problem gone. Thanks a
lot asterisk developers!

--
Ing. Miguel Molina
Grupo de Tecnología