[asterisk-users] Asterisk eventually fails when connection dies

Joseph L. Casale JCasale at activenetwerx.com
Thu Jun 4 09:43:19 CDT 2009

>> A persistent local DNS cache such as pdnsd[1] or djbdns[2] could help.
>>
>> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pdnsd
>> [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djbdns
>>
>>    Philipp Kempgen
>
>I am guessing it fails to reverse lookup your internal addresses (which
>would fail anyway, even with the DNS up).  If your phones are static, just
>make entries in /etc/hosts for them.  If they are dynamic, add entries in
>your /etc/hosts for all the addresses in your DHCP pool.
>
>You can watch the attempted outbound traffic with tcpdump and see what the
>server is trying to lookup when the registrations fail, and use /etc/hosts
>to precede the lookup.

Philipp and Jeff,
Thank you both for the help. So the phones are dynamic, and I don't assign
host names. Shall I just create something simple like "ip.addr extension_#"
for each phone and add dhcp reservations, so extension 200 would get:
`192.168.13.127 200` in the hosts file?

What would be the reason the recorded greeting doesn't get played right now
while we are having an outage? Just part of asterisk failing under the current
config? If no phones are available, should that not have an effect on what asterisk
does when an inbound caller arrives?

I am driving out now to see what it's doing, I suppose something like:
# tcpdump src host 127.0.0.1 and udp dst port 53
would be what I need?

Again, appreciate the guidance!
Thanks,
jlc