[asterisk-users] Asterisk eventually fails when connection dies

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Thu Jun 4 08:31:32 CDT 2009

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009, Philipp Kempgen wrote:

> Joseph L. Casale schrieb:
>> I have a single server running asterisk 1.6.0.8 with a few sip voip providers
>> and a tdm card for redundancy. It has a caching name server and the sip providers
>> are hard coded in the hosts file.
>>
>> When the internet connection dies, it fails over to the dahdi channel as it
>> should, but slowly the sip phones loose registration and the incoming dahdi
>> channel can still answer the incoming call, but it doesn't pass it off the
>> mailbox, it just says the "person at extension... is not available"? There
>> is a custom recording setup that otherwise works?
>>
>> What does a guy got to do to keep asterisk up when the net connection fails?
>> This is becoming a show stopper :(
>
> A persistent local DNS cache such as pdnsd[1] or djbdns[2] could help.
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pdnsd
> [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Djbdns
>
>    Philipp Kempgen

I am guessing it fails to reverse lookup your internal addresses (which
would fail anyway, even with the DNS up).  If your phones are static, just
make entries in /etc/hosts for them.  If they are dynamic, add entries in
your /etc/hosts for all the addresses in your DHCP pool.

You can watch the attempted outbound traffic with tcpdump and see what the
server is trying to lookup when the registrations fail, and use /etc/hosts
to precede the lookup.