[asterisk-users] Using DIALSTATUS question

John Regal jregal at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 13:38:09 CDT 2009

Hi all,

I am trying to make decisions in my dialplan based on {DIALSTATUS}. I am
creating calls using AMI (rawman with parameters via URL) with
action:Originate. I am using SIP and an outside voip provider for the calls.
If I define the number to call in the Channel parameter (e.g.
SIP/15555555555 at myvoipprovider, the call gets placed before entering the
context that I defined. I understand that the call only gets put into the
context if the call was answered. If the voip provider returns a busy code,
I cannot test for it in the dialplan since it never entered the context I
defined in the Originate command. Calls that are answered and therefore make
it into the dialplan show {DIALSTATUS} as null (when I echo it from the
context).

How can I programmatically place calls and evaluate dialstatus using SIP?

My sip.conf looks like this:

[general]

disallow=all

allow=ulaw

allow=g729

register => username:secret at 170.17.13.13

[myvoipprovider]

type=friend

secret=secret

username=username