[asterisk-users] safe_asterisk, respawning etc. (was: Re: /etc/asterisk/startup.d)

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Mon Jun 1 01:56:38 CDT 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 10:18:46PM -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Sunday 31 May 2009 13:36:26 Philipp Kempgen wrote:
> > Tzafrir Cohen schrieb:
> > > How useful are the equivalent safe_asterisk scripts?
> >
> > There's no real reason to treat asterisk differently but then again
> > I haven't seen Apache or MySQL crash very often but I did see some
> > versions of Asterisk crash more often than it was acceptable.
> > (Seems to be better now.)
>
> Interesting, since safe_asterisk is modeled directly after safe_mysqld.

Modeled after, maybe. In practice safe_asterisk doesn't work well.

It's just too easy for the underlying Asterisk to get in a respawn loop.
It's just too easy for two safe_asterisk-s to run along-side and have
undesired effects.

If you want something to watch over Asterisk: that's what runit and such
are for. For me safe_asterisk adds a whole new level of complicates
without much gain.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com