No subject

Sun Jul 19 19:54:31 CDT 2009

uses for the compromised accounts - one is to get to expensive
destinations - e.g. mobiles in eastern european/african destinations, and
the other would appear to be pure fraud - e.g. 10 concurrent calls to what
looks like a mobile in a country with a dubious telecom infrastructure -
which is obviously a destination that charges a high interconnect fee, so
one theory is that it's the terminating telco themselves that are stealing
the accounts and placing calls into their own network...

(This was a popular scam with mobile phone theft in the UK a few years
back - stories abounded with tales of rooms full of mobiles, calling
premium rate numbers belonging to the thieves, and so on)

Anyway, SV is easy to thwart with good practices and tools like fail2ban,
svcrash.py, sites like http://www.infiltrated.net/voipabuse/ and so on.

As far as I'm concerned, it's history. It's understood and with a few
simple procedures we can protect ourselves against it. It's yesterdays
news. Why are we still bleating on about it?

Gordon