[asterisk-users] Asterisk on OpenWRT

David Cook dbc_asterisk at advan.ca
Tue Jul 28 08:24:55 CDT 2009

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009, Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:

>1) The latest 8.09 kamikaze no longer supports the Broadcom radios, so ...

Because of closed-source drivers the Broadcom chips only work on the 2.4
series kernels. OpenWRT does make a 2.4 kernel version _and_ a 2.6 kernel
version. Use the 2.4 and the radios work fine.

>2) I suppose this should have been clear to me from the start, but without
>an external (or hacked internal) storage of some kind, running asterisk on
Make sure you have the right version number within the Linksys model. They
changed drastically the RAM/Flash in the units (downward) as the production
ran on. There are some charts online to go by. But the skinny is use a
WRT54GS v4 or lower. V1.1 & 2 were the "good" ones with double the RAM.

>3) OpenWRT seems to be less stable and not as mature as dd-wrt, which I
I guess this is someone subjective and OpenWRT is somewhat in flux with 2
products under the same brand right now.

White Russian was the previous release which is still available. Used
predominantly NVRAM configs and had a smaller audience of platforms that it
would support. It did however have a great GUI with lots of features.

Kamikaze is the "new" version which has moved to more traditional config
files and has an objective to be more platform agnostic.

As a long-time White Russian user I admit the GUI has a long way to go
before it can be considered a replacement for the White Russian version. I
myself have never encountered stability problems with either version.

Not sure how much DD-WRT has improved. A few years back OpenWRT was the
clear winner (in my mind - no flames please) and I haven't re-evaluated the
competition lately.

-dbc.