[asterisk-users] Milkfish

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Mon Jul 27 15:30:05 CDT 2009

In all my messing around with openwrt and dd-wrt this weekend I ran across
"Milkfish" which appears to be OpenSER scaled down to run on top of
openwrt and dd-wrt.  The "voip" dd-wrt v24 actually has it built in
already.

We are about to launch an ITSP so have been testing a number of SIP
hardphones in a great number of varying home situations, which has
resulted in every SIP NAT nightmare that can be imagined.  One way audio,
no audio at all, audio two way but one way video (testing the new
Grandstream GXV3140), and on and on.  In many cases asking the end
customer to open his home firewall ports to direct RTP to his phone is
really beyond the capability of the customer and probably even our
installers :)  So have been trying to find the right match of phone and
router that can be dropped into place.

I had been thinking along the lines of a full asterisk install on an
embedded system like *-WRT, and making the connections all IAX.  But
perhaps Milkfish is an acceptable alternative - I can assume that the WAN
port on these devices will be public, and as a true SIP proxy there will
no longer be any NAT involved.

Have I got that right?

Cheers,