[asterisk-users] using asterisk on a shared line

Trevor Hammonds trevor at concipient.net
Thu Jul 23 21:31:02 CDT 2009

Pascal Bruno wrote:

>Just a little clarification for people refering to Asterisk as a PBX
>and not an Answering Machine:
>
>In fact, Asterisk is neither a PBX nor an Answering Machine. Asterisk
>is a Telephony Toolkit. You can choose to use it as a PBX or an
>Answering Machine or both or even in some case as a something
>different than a PBX or Answering Machine. You should know that
>already, so this is just a reminder :-)

Pascal,

I agree with you that Asterisk is a telephony applications toolkit, and not
a simple answering machine.  However, Asterisk IS a PBX.

The term "answering machine" in the context of this thread implies a device
that has only basic answering functionality.  Since Asterisk is capable of
so much more than this basic functionality, I encouraged the OP to use it
full time, rather than as an adjunct device.

First line at:
http://www.asterisk.org/

"Asterisk is the world's leading open source PBX, telephony engine, and
telephony applications toolkit."

Sincerely,
Trevor Hammonds