[asterisk-users] using asterisk on a shared line

Bill Lovett bill at ilovett.com
Thu Jul 23 18:05:48 CDT 2009

Can Asterisk be configured to hang up if another phone picks up?

I'm a bit lost as far as terminology goes, but here's my setup. At
home, I have asterisk answering calls from the pstn and sending them
through to a sip extension or voicemail. All that is working fine.

The box running Asterisk isn't on 24/7 so I have a secondary phone
connected to the line as well. If Asterisk is not running, I can
answer an incoming call from that phone. If asterisk is running, I can
answer the call from a sip extension.

Can I have it both ways? Can Asterisk back off if the secondary phone
answers the call? Currently, if a call comes in and I answer it from
the secondary phone Asterisk will continue to ring the sip extension
and eventually drop into voicemail.