[asterisk-users] Asterisk and G.729 codec: short questions

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Tue Jul 21 10:01:54 CDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-21 at 08:06 -0300, Alejandro Cabrera Obed wrote:
> 1) Does Asterisk have installed the G.729 codec by default ???

No, you have to install it separately, as it's not open source.

> 2) If I don't want to pay for a codec license, using Asterisk in
> "pass-through" mode for G.729 voice communications, do I just have to
> download the open source version of the G.729 codec or can I use the
> one coming in Asterisk ???

You can use G.729 pass-through in Asterisk without adding anything
extra.  You only really need the codec module if you're having Asterisk
play prompts or record calls or transcode to/from G.729.

> 3) If I use G.729 for voice communications and GSM for voice mail
> sounds, does Asterisk execute trascoding ???

It will, if you have added the G.729 codec.

--
Jared Smith
Training Manager