[asterisk-users] Asterisk and G.729 codec: short questions

Alejandro Cabrera Obed aco1967 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 06:06:12 CDT 2009

Dear all, I have Trixbox 2.6 (Asterisk 1.4) installed in my voip server. I
have the following short questions about the usage of G.729 codec:
1) Does Asterisk have installed the G.729 codec by default ???

2) If I don't want to pay for a codec license, using Asterisk in
"pass-through" mode for G.729 voice communications, do I just have to
download the open source version of the G.729 codec or can I use the one
coming in Asterisk ???

3) If I use G.729 for voice communications and GSM for voice mail sounds,
does Asterisk execute trascoding ???

Really thanks

Alejandro