[asterisk-users] Digium TDM400P in Soekris net5501-70?

Brian McEntire brian.mcentire at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 14:47:42 CDT 2009

Thanks Ira -
I may yet still go with a standard Intel solution, but I think there
could be major power savings to be had going with a smaller box like a
Soekris if it can work. A good rule of thumb for 24x7 devices is $1
per watt per year, so 45 watts, while good, will still be $45 per
year. I don't know what a Soekris would draw, but without a power
supply fan, and using a CF card rather than a conventional HD, I'm
hoping the power use would be much reduced.

I will look into AstLinux. I'm actually hoping to run a VM (like
VMWare) on this solution and run the firewall (m0n0wall) inside the
VM. M0n0wall is a tiny distro that runs from a CD (or can run from a
CF card), so I think it would still run fine inside a VM.