[asterisk-users] Asterisk to PBX

Paul Hales pdhales at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jul 20 02:24:42 CDT 2009

logan wrote:
> Thanks Paul. Your help is much appreciated here.

No problem - been working on telephone systems for about 12 years now -
which doesn't even make me an old hand...

> Surely, Asterisk does that well, but Asterisk needs to have multiple phone
> lines for that. I thought that a traditional switchboard made that happen
> without multiple phone lines.

Not really - but there's something you are missing in your understanding
and it will come to you soon enough....just keep reading and asking
questions.

Of course, Asterisk can place many calls down a network
connection/adsl/E1/DS3/etc.

> BTW, in Asterisk terminology a phone line means different PSTN connections
> to the operator, right?

Once again, I don't really understand this question.....

>> Why would you guess this? We had 16 phone lines in the first business I
>> worked in.
>>

> Yeah, that's fine, but even 16 phone lines don't mean you can have 16 desk
> phones only or 16 simultaneous calls?

We had about 40 phones. We could make 16 inbound/outbound calls, and as
many internal calls as we wanted to...
> Thanks I will take a look at asteriskdocs.

Reading is a great way to learn things.

PaulH