[asterisk-users] Skill based routing

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Jul 17 05:14:02 CDT 2009

The simplicity of this approach is elegant, but in that case, why use a
queue?  Why not just perform this logic straight in the dial plan when
processing the received call?

The benefit of queues arises from their ability to keep state;  they can
retry agents, carry out different ring strategies, etc.  I understood the
original question to be implicitly about incorporating weights for skills
into queue or queue-like call distribution mechanisms, since that is how
it is done in call center products.  If the question is simply how to make
Asterisk consider certain outside information when choosing to whom to
route a call, the answer would be that it is identical to the process for
embedding any other kind of logic and/or outside data source into call
processing.