[asterisk-users] Generic question about PBX PRI installs

Dale Noll dnoll at wi.rr.com
Thu Jul 16 06:03:13 CDT 2009

Jerry Geis wrote:

> The PBX guy "seems" to always complain about how he has MANY options
> and thats not enough information...
>
> What else am I supposed to supply this person. Are they not the PBX
> expert?...
>
> Anyway as example. the last customer I told the above information. He
> set up the PBX
> and I can make 4 digit calls successfully, 7 digit and long distance are
> not successful.
> They are hitting some error condition that the call is going to the
> switch board.
> So the connection is working just not completely working.
> This is connecting to a nortel 1000 pbx.
>
> I dont know anything about a nortel switch to them what to change.
>
> What should I be supplying to these PBX guys to get the installs going
> smoother and quicker?

I have connected my Nortel Meridian to * via PRI successfully(?).
Nortel has what is called BARS/NARS.  The ability to dial numbers to
access certain routes is based on the Network Class of Service (NCOS) of
a telephone or trunk.  I would suspect that the user has the trunk set
with a NCOS to low to access the outbound routes.  Also, tandem calls
from the Tie line to the outside trunks will need to dial the proper
access code to activate BARS/NARS. (Ie.  If a Nortel user needs to dial
9, so does the call from the tie trunk.)

There is also the option, instead of using the BARS/NARS access code,
the tie can use the route access code (ACOD) directly.

As far as the PRI setup, I have found that I prefer QSIG (if the Nortel
system release supports it) because if will properly pass all the CLID
info between systems, NI2 did not.

I hope this helps.

Dale