[asterisk-users] Polycom Spectralink 8002 WiFi Phones

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Wed Jul 15 16:07:16 CDT 2009

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009 22:58:14 +0000 (UTC), Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:

>> Jeff, yeah i saw the posts, i followed Bob Pierce config and had no
>> luck, BUT it just started to work, i changed AP's, seems like theres
>> something wrong with Ubiquiti NanoStation2 WMM implementation, i used a
>> Linksys WRT54G2 and viola! it started to work, i guess i should've done
>> that to begin with... :(
>>
>> I'll play around whit the Nanostations QoS settings and see if i can get
>> it to work on those AP's.
>>
>> What AP's were you using?
>
>Hi Cesar,
>
>I did actually get it to work as well, and was using Linksys WRT54G with
>dd-wrt.  I *intended* for the phone to be useful at random wifi hotspots,
>however, and was a bit disappointed to find that that was not going to
>work.  So it sits on a shelf gathering dust...

I had one of these for evalution last spring. The resulting review is
here:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30498/80/

They work well enough when paired with suitable APs. According to
Polycom you must support WMM or all bets are off. In my case I had a
Netgear WRT-2000.

I had no issues at all with integration with Asterisk. However, I think
that there truly isn't a dedicated Wifi handset that will satisfy if
you want to be able to roam the world and make calls from public
hotspots.

Too many hotspots require a web login before you get access. Thus the
best devices for this sort of thing seem to be Nokia dual mode phones
with built-in web browsers.

Michael
--
Michael Graves