[asterisk-users] Caller ID (name) - where does it come from?

Trevor Peirce tpeirce at digitalcon.ca
Wed Jul 8 16:41:18 CDT 2009

Barry D. Hassler wrote:
> Well, Teliax says they "have no access to the PSTN's database", but
> I'm suggesting they check out TargusInfo as mentioned above. One of
> their suggestions, is to contact the local ILEC to get the number
> published in their white pages. Will that accomplish the same thing (I
> doubt it).

As I understand it, if they got a document signed by their origination
provider granting them authorization to do CNAM hosting on their own
numbers, they could then hire someone such as Verisign to host their
CNAM records in the so-called "PSTN database."  They'd even profit from
this assuming they have enough subscribers.

There are probably several reasons for why they don't do this, possibly
starting with administrative overhead and/or their provider is not
willing to relinquish control of the records.

If someone has experience with this, feel free to correct me.  However,
this is my understanding from my previous experience with looking up
Caller Name information via CNAM/LIDB/SS7.

Regards,

--
Trevor Peirce
Digital Conceptions Canada