[asterisk-users] Small site survivability

Jonathan Thurman jthurman42 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 10:51:41 CDT 2009

<snip>

Audiocodes supports SRST on their mediapack analog gateways.

This might be a viable option.  I haven't used any Audiocodes devices
before.  Are people pleased with them?

<snip>

Deploy a lot of small asterisk based appliances...

> This way you can completely decentralise your setup and give each office
> it's own autonomous system, only needing the WAN links for inter-site calls
> (and maybe your backhaul to the PSTN)

We do not want to decentralise our configuration.  The whole point of
pulling all of these sites together was to centralise management.  We also
have a lot of users that move to a different site every year and keep their
DID as long as they are within the same county.  We simply need some way to
provide basic call management for local 911 access in the case of WAN
failure.  Our Cisco devices do this for any phone using SCCP.  If you want
to buy an additional license you can have SIP too...

<snip>

What happens for IT when WAN fails ?
> Are people still able to work or not ?

I work in K-12 education, so while our users will complain that they don't
have internet/email/etc, they continue to work with or without the WAN
connection.  Even if normal phone service is not available, we HAVE to
provide 911 access.

> If they are, then it should be possible to use current routers (if they
> have such POTS interfaces) as Media gateways and have a local resource to
> act as a backup Asterisk server.

I am trying to avoid adding additional servers at this small sites.  Some
sites are nothing more than a portable with Metro Ethernet connection and a
fan-less router and switch.

> If they are not, having IT and Telephony to share the same backup WAN is
> advisable.

Backup WAN links... I wish!

Thanks for the input.

-Jonathan