[asterisk-users] Small site survivability

Olivier oza-4h07 at myamail.com
Wed Jul 8 01:32:44 CDT 2009

2009/7/6 Jonathan Thurman <jthurman42 at gmail.com>

> We are currently moving away from a wide-spread Cisco CallManager
> deployment to Asterisk.  For many of our small sites we have the routers
> configured for what Cisco calls SRST so if we have a WAN failure, the router
> acts as a SCCP registrar.  We are converting to SIP, and from what I can
> tell Cisco wants a license for each router to run SRST over SIP...
>
> So my question to the group is: What are you doing for survivability in
> these small (6-30 phone) sites?  I would like to avoid deploying a lot of
> servers if at all possible.  The requirements would be a simple, easy to
> manage device for the phones to register to in case of WAN failure with 1 or
> 2 POTS lines attached (also used for 911 calls from that site).

What happens for IT when WAN fails ?
Are people still able to work or not ?

If they are, then it should be possible to use current routers (if they have
such POTS interfaces) as Media gateways and have a local resource to act as
a backup Asterisk server.

If they are not, having IT and Telephony to share the same backup WAN is
advisable.