[asterisk-users] Resetting Day/Night setting

Jeremy Winder jwinder at logicalsi.com
Tue Jul 7 11:54:54 CDT 2009

All of this is setup using FreePBX and to be honest, with all of the
macros that FreePBX adds to the *.conf files I'm not really sure what
Asterisk is doing. I've only been playing with all of this for about two
weeks now and most of that was waisted trying to figure out the ZAPTEL
vs DAHDI stuff.

My planned incoming routes will look something like this:

  --------
 (Incoming)
  --------

     /\           /\
    /  \         /  \
   / if \_After_/Day\\__Day____
   \time/ Hours \Nite/         |
    \  /         \  /          |
     \/           \/           |
      |Work        |Night      |
     /\ Hours     \/           \/
    /  \         -----      ---------
   /Day\\_Day__>(Queue)    (VoiceMail)
   \Nite/        -----      ---------
    \  /                       /\
     \/                        |
      |Night                   |
      --------------------------

I left out all of the announcements and IVR because I "love" drawing in
ASCII so much, but you get the general idea.

With the Time Condition (if time) we will have automated routing of the
calls to the queue during work hours and voicemail after hours. However,
there are a few times a year when we need to overrule this time
condition for situations where tech support is offered on a weekend or
we are closed on a holiday. My thought was instead of constantly having
to update the Time Condition, we could use the Day/Night Control which
gives a '*280' dial code.

The problem is in the case of say a holiday on a Friday, when the tech
support manager decides at the last minute to let his people go early
and dials *280 and then leaves. Come Monday the override will still be
in place and since call volumes are usually low in the morning, it could
be noon or later before someone realizes something is wrong.

My thought was to use cron to run a script that will check the status of
the Day/Night Control and compare it with the Time Condition and if they
match, set the Day/Night Control back to default (day). So in our
holiday scenario, come 5:00pm that Friday night when the Time Condition
would switch to "after hours" the Day/Night Control switches back to its
default setting.

Being new to voice systems, I knew how I would handle it as a Linux
Sysadmin, I was curious how "telecom guys" would go about it.

To answer your question, I believe FreePBX is using a GotoIfTime clause
for the Time Condition but I'm not exactly sure. I'm more worried about
giving our tech support manager the ability to override the "normal"
dial plan without having to call me.

Thanks again,

Jeremy